Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

We all know some people can like a band because of certain clothes, hair, etc. But I think its more prevalent in disliking.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

I agree 100 percent.



Most of the reasons I hear for people not liking certain music are superficial, and have more to do with the look, genre or acceptance of their peers than the quality of the music itself.



It's similar to the reasons why certain kids in school are popular or unpopular, or for that matter... the way people in the U.S. choose which presidential candidate to vote for.



How many times have you heard stuff like: "I just didn't think he looked presidential." it's a shame...



peace



.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

everything the guy above me said.



because i'm not smart enough to think of my own educated answer.



and he said basically what i was thinking.



i see it all the time: "the lead singer looks like a girl" and "they're so gay" which is offensive to homosexuals (saying that something is bad because it's 'gay').



and it's jsut that . . . they don't like the way they dress, or the way the fans behave or what the fans say, so they just shut out the band entirely.



which isn't cool.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

I try not to judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes a band/group tries so hard to fit in by adopting a look that supposedly lets a person know what style of music they play and end up looking like a bunch of wannabes, no matter what the statement they are trying to convey they usually end up being disliked for their style. Now I know there are a few exceptions, but that's just it, there only a few. All forms of originality have gone with the wind



Besides, i listen to death-thrash-black-grind-hardcore so jeans and a t-shirt is hardly defined as an image....i don't think so anyways. And yes, I know most black metal bands wear corpse paint, and thats kinda goin away.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

eh although I would like to think that I like bands just for the music it definitely can also be about the image. Some bands have the complete package which is an extra bonus cause that makes them more admirable to me. But I don't judge and dislike bands just by a bad image the music will always suck too



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

yes



i generally listen to music then find out info about the band (i.e. what they look like), so it doesnt really have as much as an affect on me cuz if i already like the music i prob wont care what they look like



also when other people say bad things about bands it influences people who read about them. like if i've never heard of a band but if i read something where someone says they suck, i'm much mor inclined to also think they suck



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

Yep. I totally agree with you dude.



Like a band i love... dresses ganster and they are white(race). But there music dosent reflect "hip hop music" . They just like that type of clothes.



I love THE MAINE



check them out



myspace.com/themaine



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

I personally dont, I try not to judge by appearance in any aspect of my life. But I completely agree that it's easier for people to dislike a band based on appearance rather than sound. Just like it's easy to say you "omg love" any band.



It's easy to say you like a band because you'll gain some sort of "street cred"



It's equally as easy to say you don't like a band because of how they look because this is just the simplest form of conversational input (asides from grunting). You don't have to even know what they sing!



I think liking or disliking music based purely on appearance (or how you'll appear for being their fan) is some sort of "easy way out" for the people who don't have time or brain power to sit and appreciate music properley.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

I tend to prefer bands who just show up and play rather than adopt a whole costume/stage show routine.



Like all musical rules, I break that one regularly. Sometimes you have to like a band despite them all having matching hair styles, wearing black leather jackets, and adopting the same last name.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

It's never been an issue for me. There are probably several bands / artists in my collection who dress in a way I don't like but, damn it, they *sound* good! And that it all that matters.



I don't get all the whinging about men wearing 'girls' jeans. Guys have been wearing those sort of tight trousers since the days of the Mods back in the 60's. Just look at the very early pictures of The Who.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

I see this all the time! The kids that live near me hate it when guys wear tight pants! Well, its the style now, so what do they expect?



I think people tend to judge a band too much now on what they 'look' like and not so much on their sound. (hint, hint- "omg! I so want to marry ____!!" you have no idea how much I heard this at Warped Tour) and when a band has a certain style, and you say you like that band, people associate the look with your personality.



I think this tends to go toward the older people too, not just the teeny boppers. For example. I used to have a Simple Plan poster in my room, not so bad right? My mom didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Then, as I got into harder music, I replaced it with a Bring Me The Horizon poster, and my mom refuses to listen to them because in the poster she says they "look like death."



Athough, I must confess, I do judge based on looks too. I stay away from pop not just because I don't like it, but because the female singers look like, well, sluts. (cough, cough. Brittany Spears)



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

Not exacly but yeah some people don't like a band b/c of their style but mostly b/c of the genre of music. If wore a Cradle Of Filth T- Shirt a bitchy prep is gonna come up to me and be like OMG thery look so scary which they are but there awsome and there genre of music is black/goth metal so the if a person comes up to me and tell me that i just say screw off.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

Some bands just play into a stereotype, and it drives a lot of people nuts. Case in point: The Casualties.



Do people actually dislike a band more because of their style?

i agree many people are put off because of a band's "scary" appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment