Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What is the most you have spent on your animal?

I am going to pick up my cat from the vet tonight after work who had emergency surgery last night...He ate 18 of my hair rubber bands....it is going to cost me in the neighborhood of $1500-$1700.



What is the most you have spent on your animal?

I have a friend who spent $5000 total on all the expenses from start to finish to have an ACL repaired in his dogs knee. Then 4 months after the surgery his dog tore the same ACL again. Now he is just treating it with pain medication when needed but he can not afford another surgery. I am very angry with vets and the money they charge. For instance, I am a firefighter/paramedic and I know the cost of medical supplies. I took my pet rat to the vet and was charged $50.00 for 20min of Oxygen which then were flowing at 1L/min. So they used 20L. of oxygen. The cost of that for humans is about $2.00. They charged my $40.00 for like 10cc of sub Q normal saline. We dont even sell 10cc bags of normal saline but a 50cc bag of normal saline costs $10.00. They charge like anywhere between 500% to 1000% of their cost, it is rediculous. I dont ever want to hear any vet actually say they really care about animals. My Captain at my station just had to have his dog put down because it ate some towels and had a piece get stuck in its intestines. This killed a part of the dogs intestines but the dog could be saved with surgery to have the dead part removed. The vet wanted to charge $7,000. We all pooled our money and could come up with $5100 but the vet said no so he had to put his dog down. Lets break down the actual cost of this surgery. Medications to put the dog to sleep might cost $500 at the most, iv supplies $30, intubation supplies $30, thats it. You dont need anything else except for labor cost. Most (not all) vets really could care less about your pets.



What is the most you have spent on your animal?

My horse- $9,000 over 3 months for intensive cancer removal surgery on the surface of her eye. It turned into a mad tumor, and we ended up having to remove her eye, which was cheaper than any of the procedures to shave or freeze the eye surface, which I find interesting.



My friend just spent 1,500 on a sick ferret in ICU.



What is the most you have spent on your animal?

Well, I spend $2,000 a year on insurance for my 5 cats, because you never know what they'll do or eat and end up getting sick. I've got 2 with heart murmurs, so they are my main concern. The insurance reimburses 85% of what I pay, so you figure I spend about $2400 a year on them, alltogether.



What is the most you have spent on your animal?

I spend about 50 - 100 puonds on my 6 rabbits every 2 weeks.



What is the most you have spent on your animal?

Oh my! I would have never thought hair rubber bands were such a tasty treat! Bless his heart..I hope he does okay for you after you bring him home.



When my beloved Maybelle was diagnosed in renal failure on April 2, 2007 and until she crossed the bridge on July 30, 2007, I spent about $1600. This included 2 hospital stays, the first for 3 days and the second for 4 days, full bloodwork each stay and then SubQ fluids, tubing, needles and medications for her nausea. And finally, kidney friendly diet foods.



She fought a courageous battle against that terrible illness. In her honor, I donated the food and SubQ supplies to another patient Maybelle's vet was treating.



Purrs to you and kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment